WE ALSO NEED 5-7 VOLUNTEERS TO HELP RUN THE DAY, SO IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE ONE OF OUR VOLUNTEERS OR IF ANYONE CAN BRING A FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND TO HELP OUT ON THE DAY,
IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Volunteering is a great way to have fun, learn new skills, share your talents, meet new people and help others.
No experience is necessary for our volunteer roles.
Volunteers in/on the water should be able to swim while wearing a life jacket.
All volunteers must sign the insurance wavier at every ski day (see Sharon on the day)
Please refer to the list below for a description of volunteer jobs both on & off the water.
- Dock jumping – Where necessary assists the skier with their water skiing starts. Also when a skier returns to the dock [after skiing], “dock jumpers” jump into the water to assist a skier in getting himself/herself and his/her equipment back to shore.
- Side skiing (for experienced waterskiers) – Where necessary “side skiers” ski alongside our participants and physically assist them & for reassurance.
- Follow up boat – for safety purposes, our tinnie or another boat shall follow those sit skiers where necessary and should always have a “jumper” in the boat. A “boat jumper” will jump in the water to assist skiers who fall and need assistance to restart again.
- Spotting – at all times, a “spotter” should be in the boat in addition to the boat driver. This individual holds the responsibility of keeping an eye out for potential hazards a skier may face, and pulling the safety release, if necessary. The spotter also manages ski ropes in between waterskiers to prevent knots and tangles and to ensure that ropes do not get caught in the boat’s motor.
- Transfers – this refers to transferring the skier from his/her wheelchair into a sit ski & vice versa. Volunteer needs to have a bit of strength.
- Dockmaster – the “dockmaster” communicates with boat drivers via a 2-way radio system. They also manage the skiers skiing order.
- Boat driving – Require drivers for both the water ski boat and follow up boat. They must hold a boat license (except if you are driving the tinnie). The boat driver of the water ski boat must have disabled water skiing driving experience.
- Set up/pack up – volunteers are always needed to help setup & pack up at the ski events.
- Cook a BBQ – Volunteers are needed to cook a BBQ when we ski at Manly Dam & at Cooks River.
So if anyone can help, can they please contact Sharon on 0412 966712 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ACTIVE VOLUNTEERS LUNCHES WILL BE PAID FOR BY THE CLUB TO SHOW OUR APPRECIATION FOR THEIR TIME & EFFORT. WE CAN ALSO MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO THEIR PETROL COSTS.